One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A dive in which a person hits the water flat on their stomach or abdomen.
failure, disaster, debacle, catastrophe, loserView synonyms
- ‘I watched as Damian fell off his board for the umpteenth time, laughing along with Shawdi at his spectacular bellyflop.’
- ‘He teetered, lost his balance and fell off, making a tremendous splash as he hit the water with an inelegant bellyflop and an angry shout.’
- ‘Or they make up their own dives on the spot, sometimes while in midair -- improvisation that frequently leads to the kind of painful bellyflop that causes spectators to groan with a combination of sympathy and mirth’
- ‘The sight so startled him that he finally lost control, doing a painful bellyflop that threw up a cascade of water.’
- ‘Alex is going in feet-first, Paddington is doing a bomb, and Felicity looks like she's about to do the most painful bellyflop ever.’
- 1.1 A complete failure.‘the film's belly flop at the box office is unsurprising’
1no object Perform a belly flop.‘he belly-flopped into the water’
be unsuccessful, fail, not work, fall flat, founder, misfire, backfire, be a disappointment, do badly, lose money, be a disaster, meet with disaster, come to grief, miss the mark, run agroundView synonyms
- ‘Suddenly, without warning, she bellyflopped, unceremoniously, into the wooden planter.’
- ‘She bellyflopped flat down onto the pavement.’
- ‘Taking a running start, we bellyflopped onto the sled and went down head first, hopefully catching a few dips and flying over them, becoming temporarily airborne.’
- ‘The two men bellyflop each other for a bit until Haystacks falls through the ropes on to a nice ringside flower arrangement and is counted out. ‘Easy!’
- ‘She bellyflopped onto her bed and opened her purple laptop.’
- 1.1 (of an aircraft) perform an emergency landing without lowering the undercarriage.‘the plane belly-flopped in a cornfield’
- ‘As the plane approached the water, the right wing dramatically dropped but this appeared to be mostly corrected when it looked like the airliner stalled and literally bellyflopped into the water with a huge splash.’
- ‘Ditching was a procedure wherein the disabled aircraft bellyflopped on the ocean surface.’
- 1.2 Be completely unsuccessful.‘the IPO belly-flopped spectacularly’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.