One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A town crier.
- ‘The town bellman read a celebratory poem and schoolchildren lined up to take part in the traditional dances.’
- ‘The Professor observes that the Romans and the Elizabethans ‘read the time by day by sundial’ and ‘heard the time by night through the watchmen's cries or tolling of the bellman on the hour’.’
- ‘In 1841 the Mayor of Appleby gave notice by the bellman that ALL dogs found at large would be destroyed.’
- ‘The Parish Council had eight applicants for the vacant position of bellman, and the question was to be decided in a practical way.’
- ‘It was followed in the 1850s by the introduction of pillar boxes (a suggestion of Anthony Trollope), which put an end to the bellmen who had rung for final collections.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.