One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘He put his hands on his hips and glared belligerently at her, looking and sounding for all the world like a teacher scolding her for stealing another student's toy.’
- ‘Ever since their ‘invention’ in the 1950s, teenagers have tested the limits set by previous generations: staying out late, stretching the truth and placing themselves belligerently at the centre of the universe.’
- ‘‘Don't even think about asking,’ he cautioned belligerently.’
- ‘But she later changed tack, reverting to a belligerently confrontational stance.’
- ‘‘I never started explaining,’ Penelope pointed out belligerently.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.