Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A tropical American bird of the cotinga family, with a loud explosive call.
- ‘Subtle enough to catch and lend fluency to the songs of crickets, frogs, cicadas and bellbirds, sometimes disappearing like an invisible songbird behind a static screen of notes.’
- ‘Soon we're hearing a frenzy of bellbirds - crow-size, white cotingas, that sound like cracked bells.’
- ‘The fourth point is that it has a very high diversity and good numbers of native birds, including tui, bellbird, weka, yellow-breasted tit, robin, rifleman, brown creeper, fantail, kereru, grey warbler, and silvereye.’
- ‘A 1969 survey had turned up a dismal count of just 21 tuis and 24 bellbirds for the entire island.’
- ‘In the same woods, we also saw the large saddleback and the bellbird, the former with a glossy black head and body and a bright chestnut ‘saddle’ across its back, the latter, olive green with a red eye and a loud, clear ringing call.’
- ‘When a tui or a bellbird pops open a bud, all four petals spring back, and as the bird inserts its beak into the corolla to drink nectar, its head often brushes pollen onto the receptive stigma.’
- ‘Contrast this to the bellbird, a long-lived tropical bird in which individuals come to know one another well.’
2Any of a number of Australasian songbirds with a ringing call.See also miner
- ‘Last time that we walked the track we saw and/or heard bellbirds, fantails, chaffinches, greenfinches, grey warblers and a native pigeon.’
- ‘There are still many native birds in the shrubland including bellbirds, kingfishers, silvereye and the hawk or kahu.’
- ‘We were entertained by the familiar voices of crested bellbirds and rufous songlarks, but a different voice soon became evident.’
- ‘Along these roads are many walking tracks where native birds such as wood pigeons, bellbirds, weka and fantails can be seen and heard.’
- ‘As you walk you have a good chance of seeing some native birds - brown creepers, bellbirds, grey warblers and fantails.’
- ‘The bush has abundant bird life, including the bellbird, tomtit, rifleman, wood pigeon and grey warbler.’
- ‘Celebrate all that is distinctive. People come here to experience the so-called '100% pure’ New Zealand environment, and that includes special birds like the bellbird.’
- ‘There are signs of many birds such as the Major Mitchell cockatoos, mulga parrots, honeyeaters, crested bellbirds and many more.’
- ‘Resident ranger Maurice Puckett takes David Steemson on a visit with several hundred school children and explains how more spiders are evident, along with native cockroaches and bellbirds.’
- ‘We lay for a while before starting breakfast, warm in our bags, savouring the view and at the same time listening to the donging reverberations of a bellbird calling his good-morning song.’
- ‘As we walked we heard bellbirds in the trees and saw a silvereye quite close on a small shrub.’
- ‘A bellbird's call, crystal clear, was the only intrusion.’
- ‘When you need to pause for breath look at the surrounding bush, listen to the birds and watch to see fantails, bellbirds, and native pigeons.’
- ‘A bellbird called as we walked into the eucalypt forest.’
- ‘It's not long before we hear the bellbirds that inhabit this end of the gardens.’
- ‘In this area you may see the brown creeper, tomtit, robin, bellbird, rifleman, wood pigeon, falcon and kea.’
- ‘There is still the song of the bellbird and the other birds are still to be seen and heard, but not in such abundance.’
- ‘He befriended native birds; his favourite a bellbird he named Oscar.’
- ‘The piercing call of a bellbird draws attention to a soundtrack of bush noises.’
- ‘Theirs isn't the honeyed call of New Zealand bellbirds but a harsher sound my bird field guide book describes as a sharp ‘jak jak jak’.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.