Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- North American term for sweet pepper
- ‘Bake uncovered at 350F for thirty-five minutes and serve with rice or rice noodles, ladling on any extra sauce, or eat it atop a spinach salad with red bell pepper and green onion.’
- ‘Quarter the bell pepper lengthwise, remove the stem, white membranes and seeds.’
- ‘Toss the bell pepper into the frying pan and cook until tender and just starting to brown.’
- ‘Make a vegetarian pizza with lots of tomato, zucchini, bell pepper, onion, mushroom, carrots, broccoli and spinach.’
- ‘Toss squash, potato, bell pepper, onion, mushrooms and minced garlic in a large bowl.’
- ‘In a large bowl, combine the remaining mango with the rice, kidney beans, bell pepper, scallions and peas.’
- ‘Add the parsley, sunflower sprouts, bell pepper, and romaine lettuce; toss to coat, season, and set aside.’
- ‘Although any bell pepper can be roasted, red bell peppers are most commonly used; in addition, yellow and orange peppers are a great option.’
- ‘Include bell pepper slices or baby carrots with ranch dressing or spaghetti sauce for dunking.’
- ‘Combine all ingredients except the red bell pepper.’
- ‘Groundnut stew may be served with rice, and the many possible accompaniments include hard-boiled eggs, sliced fruit, cucumber, onions, chutney, roast nuts, bell pepper, and raw onions.’
- ‘As I clean my refrigerator out every Saturday morning, I toss all the leftover veggies in a pot - you know, the two carrots, that stalk of celery, half an onion, a bell pepper, a couple of potatoes.’
- ‘Don't let the innocent name of this sweet bell pepper fool you.’
- ‘Thread skewers with halibut, zucchini, onion and bell pepper.’
- ‘Place half of the bell pepper strips atop egg salad.’
- ‘For the red bell pepper sauce, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring the oyster sauce and chicken stock to a simmer.’
- ‘Add the red bell pepper and scallions to the drained potatoes and toss with the dressing.’
- ‘Scoville heat units can range from zero for a sweet bell pepper to over 200,000 for the fiery orange habanero.’
- ‘Then I came home and ate a huge spinach salad with smoked salmon, fennel, hearts of palm, cherry tomatoes, artichoke hearts, yellow bell pepper, and balsamic vinaigrette.’
- ‘The cubes of meat were topped with a variety of vegetables - zucchini, bell pepper and asparagus, among others - with their skins deliciously grilled.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.