One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A buoy equipped with a bell rung by the motion of the sea, warning shipping of shallow waters.
- ‘He spent countless hours on the water listening to pounding surf and the constant warning of bell buoys.’
- ‘But, only within recent history have sailors enjoyed the peace of mind provided by bell buoys sounding their distinct tones across Cape Cod's waters.’
- ‘Go to the bell buoy 100m off shore and line up the two cones on the cliff tops above Gwennap Head.’
- ‘This lighted bell buoy is of the type widely used in the 20th century to mark shoals in coastal waters along the East Coast of the United States.’
- ‘A bell buoy makes sounds, like a gong.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.