One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A buoy equipped with a bell rung by the motion of the sea, warning shipping of shallow waters.
- ‘This lighted bell buoy is of the type widely used in the 20th century to mark shoals in coastal waters along the East Coast of the United States.’
- ‘But, only within recent history have sailors enjoyed the peace of mind provided by bell buoys sounding their distinct tones across Cape Cod's waters.’
- ‘A bell buoy makes sounds, like a gong.’
- ‘Go to the bell buoy 100m off shore and line up the two cones on the cliff tops above Gwennap Head.’
- ‘He spent countless hours on the water listening to pounding surf and the constant warning of bell buoys.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.