Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A heavily muscled animal of a breed of cattle kept for its meat.
- ‘Jack, who is considering appealing against the council decision, keeps 620 Belgian Blues on land dotted throughout East Lancashire, but very few of them at his small farmstead in Whalley.’
- ‘A charolais weighing 660 kg sold for €1,075 and a Belgian Blue scaling 565 kg made €1,060.’
- ‘For the first time in 4 months I have done a deal for a couple of show quality Belgian Blues.’
- ‘Gabriel, a worker on the farm, said that the cows were ‘keeping well’ and boasted that their star cattle, the Belgian Blues, would soon be on show at Kilkenny, Tullamore, Waterford and Piltown Agricultural Shows.’
- ‘Mr Willis, said: ‘We no longer register pedigree calves because every cow is now crossed with the Belgian Blue bull.’’
- ‘The cattle show classes went ahead as normal with entries high in the pedigree Belgian Blue and Simmental classes, but down in the commercial classes.’
- ‘Belgian Blue Sale - If you want to feast your eyes on some really outstanding cattle, don't miss Roland Mason's sale of pedigree Belgian Blues this Saturday at noon.’
- ‘Placed at reserve was Geoff Mellin, a retail butcher at Nelson, Lancashire, who keeps 15 Belgian Blues and Limousin breeding cattle for producing beef for sale in the shop.’
- ‘In the cattle section, some 20 breeds are represented, with record entries for Longhorn, Dexter and British Belgian Blue.’
- ‘At Macroom, the Champion of the Show was a Belgian Blue bullock weighing 460 kg and sold for £660.’
- ‘The Great Yorkshire Show, of course, takes great pride in the livestock on display, although with names like British Belgian Blue and Lincoln Red you could be forgiven for mistaking the names of cattle for cheeses.’
- ‘They paid up to £50 over £/ kg for the top of the Charolais and Belgian Blues in the lighter weight range of 150 kg - 170 kg.’
- ‘There will also be the usual classes for Angus Hereford, Shorthorn, Limousin, Salers, Charolais, Belgian Blue with many classes in the cattle commercial section.’
- ‘The judge at the show was Kilkeel farmer, Jim Sloan who has bred Belgian Blues for 15 years.’
- ‘But I had to disappoint one of my friends in Cregg House who wanted me to bring back a Belgian Blue.’
- ‘Taking top spot in the Belgian Blues was Joshua, nine, of Pontefract showing his mother Sarah's 19-month-old heifer.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.