One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A heavily muscled animal of a breed of cattle kept for its meat.
- ‘There will also be the usual classes for Angus Hereford, Shorthorn, Limousin, Salers, Charolais, Belgian Blue with many classes in the cattle commercial section.’
- ‘The Great Yorkshire Show, of course, takes great pride in the livestock on display, although with names like British Belgian Blue and Lincoln Red you could be forgiven for mistaking the names of cattle for cheeses.’
- ‘The judge at the show was Kilkeel farmer, Jim Sloan who has bred Belgian Blues for 15 years.’
- ‘They paid up to £50 over £/ kg for the top of the Charolais and Belgian Blues in the lighter weight range of 150 kg - 170 kg.’
- ‘Placed at reserve was Geoff Mellin, a retail butcher at Nelson, Lancashire, who keeps 15 Belgian Blues and Limousin breeding cattle for producing beef for sale in the shop.’
- ‘In the cattle section, some 20 breeds are represented, with record entries for Longhorn, Dexter and British Belgian Blue.’
- ‘Jack, who is considering appealing against the council decision, keeps 620 Belgian Blues on land dotted throughout East Lancashire, but very few of them at his small farmstead in Whalley.’
- ‘Belgian Blue Sale - If you want to feast your eyes on some really outstanding cattle, don't miss Roland Mason's sale of pedigree Belgian Blues this Saturday at noon.’
- ‘Mr Willis, said: ‘We no longer register pedigree calves because every cow is now crossed with the Belgian Blue bull.’’
- ‘For the first time in 4 months I have done a deal for a couple of show quality Belgian Blues.’
- ‘But I had to disappoint one of my friends in Cregg House who wanted me to bring back a Belgian Blue.’
- ‘A charolais weighing 660 kg sold for €1,075 and a Belgian Blue scaling 565 kg made €1,060.’
- ‘Gabriel, a worker on the farm, said that the cows were ‘keeping well’ and boasted that their star cattle, the Belgian Blues, would soon be on show at Kilkenny, Tullamore, Waterford and Piltown Agricultural Shows.’
- ‘At Macroom, the Champion of the Show was a Belgian Blue bullock weighing 460 kg and sold for £660.’
- ‘Taking top spot in the Belgian Blues was Joshua, nine, of Pontefract showing his mother Sarah's 19-month-old heifer.’
- ‘The cattle show classes went ahead as normal with entries high in the pedigree Belgian Blue and Simmental classes, but down in the commercial classes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.