Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Later than should have been the case.‘the High Command had belatedly altered its tactics’
- ‘It was only belatedly that I heard he had undergone a heart bypass operation.’
- ‘The artist has been belatedly credited in the new film, a vindication he is reported to have accepted grudgingly.’
- ‘He would become a regional artist, belatedly indebted to the late Cezanne.’
- ‘The art world is belatedly catching up to this trailblazing figure.’
- ‘Any further postponements so belatedly in the year would be close enough to a disaster.’
- ‘This will reduce the risk of the will remaining unknown or being found belatedly.’
- ‘Dismayed by the prospect of general mayhem, officials belatedly summoned the National Guard.’
- ‘His claims about her logic indicate, however belatedly, his response to her pointed opposition to his poetics.’
- ‘Talks collapsed on Wednesday after management had belatedly sought to undermine the deal.’
- ‘Just a few days ago, these war veterans belatedly realized their dream of seeing a monument to their courage opened on Washington's Mall.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.