One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another way of saying bejesus
- ‘The Bucks still are infuriating, but they are talented enough offensively to scare the bejabbers out of anyone.’
- ‘You'd better not mess up my room or I'll beat the bejabbers outta you!’
- ‘That way he'd scare the bejabbers out of her, and unnerve her to the point where she really WAS ready to cry.’
- ‘It's always the same for the fast guy out on the wing: he can run like the bejabbers, so he must be a cream puff when it comes to tackling and the real rough and tumble.’
- ‘Martin Roscoe plays the bejabbers out of his solo part in the piano concerto.’
- ‘For some reason, all of this has scared the bejabbers out of the Democrats.’
- ‘I didn't expect him until dinnertime. He just about scared the bejabbers out of me as he sneaked up behind me and burst into this sudden, uproarious laughter.’
Early 19th century: alteration of by Jesus.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.