One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not aware of or using the latest ideas or techniques; out of date.‘the children considered dad to be behind the times’
old-fashioned, outmoded, out of fashion, out of date, unfashionable, frumpish, frumpy, out of style, outdated, dated, out, outworn, old, former, dead, musty, old-time, old-world, behindhand, past, bygone, archaic, obsolescent, obsolete, ancient, antiquated, superannuatedView synonyms
- ‘Compare online shopping: in Europe it is not as widespread as in the U.S. and not simply because Europeans are backwards or behind the times.’
- ‘The Rail Passengers Committee believes companies are behind the times and need to get up to date.’
- ‘I think if you're behind the times, you've failed.’
- ‘Sharman said the entertainment companies are behind the times and don't realize that consumers need not buy CDs, DVDs or videotapes to enjoy music or films.’
- ‘If we fail to appoint a management team that is capable of moving with modern ideas, we will end up not three years behind the times but ten.’
- ‘And it's a sign that whatever his great accomplishments in the past, the guy is behind the times.’
- ‘We've done a little research, and that revealed we were a little behind the times with our methods.’
- ‘Coming home, our estate seemed poor to me, behind the times; a real antique.’
- ‘I was thinking that maybe I am just behind the times.’
- ‘And forgive me for noting that those who would complain of lengthy deployments and demand the return of the troops are about 10 years behind the times.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.