Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
At a disadvantage:‘don't let cash-flow crises put you behind the eight ball’
- ‘They know that they are unproductive and are a bit behind the eight ball.’
- ‘‘After yesterday's performance we were really behind the eight ball,’ he said.’
- ‘It is clear that students from poorer families start behind the eight ball and are not given enough extra assistance’
- ‘In that respect, any free independent publication will be starting behind the eight ball, with no subsidies, let alone a historical tradition or audience.’
- ‘We certainly don't want to fall behind the eight ball on that.’
- ‘The pay rises are so small people are always behind the eight ball.’
- ‘He was behind the eight ball in terms of fitness two months before the season even started.’
- ‘This might put us behind the eight ball for the first couple of races or so, but in the long run it's going to be the right thing to do for our program.’
- ‘I know I am really behind the eight ball on this one.’
- ‘We find ourselves, though, increasingly behind the eight ball when it comes to recruiting and paying for those faculty and staff because of that gap.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.