Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A herbaceous plant of warm climates, the flowers of which have brightly coloured sepals but no petals. Numerous cultivars are grown for their flowers or striking foliage.
- ‘The Display House has fine begonias in summer and orchids and cyclamens during autumn and winter.’
- ‘Summer annuals such as petunias, impatiens and begonias need warmer temperatures to thrive.’
- ‘To get earlier blooms, start begonias growing indoors about six weeks before your planting-out date, the date in your area when the threat of night frosts is past.’
- ‘Together with gladioli, lilies and begonias, the dahlias are one of the most important and popular summer-flowering bulbs.’
- ‘Summer-flowering bulbs such as dahlias, begonias and anemones bring variety, texture, unique color and long flowering times to summer gardens.’
- ‘A diverse group of plants characterised by bright, multi-coloured flowers and leaves, begonias are plants which are found mainly in India's North-Eastern region.’
- ‘Other plants that can be easily brought inside to over winter include coleus, geraniums, basil and begonias.’
- ‘Brightly coloured violas and begonias peek from every possible spot of dirt.’
- ‘Large flowered begonias look best with fewer, larger flowers.’
- ‘I feel very mature and responsible for not actually spending all that money and staying at home and planting begonias and drinking lemonade on the lawn instead.’
- ‘Now they are relying on visitors to generously donate money while admiring the beautiful petunias, begonias and busy lizzy flowers.’
- ‘Are you supposed to pull up begonias in the winter?’
- ‘Likewise, flower boxes can hang on the deck's railings with azaleas and begonias brightening up that stark wood deck.’
- ‘Many people choose to plant begonias indoors in pots six weeks prior to their outside planting date to get blooms that much earlier in the summer.’
- ‘My yard always looked so nice and clean with its daylilies and begonias around each planted pine tree in the front yard.’
- ‘Rotate showy plants, such as orchids, begonias, and bromeliads, into your garden for color all year.’
- ‘In summer months, bright annuals such as impatiens, begonia, and coleus make attractive companion plants.’
- ‘You can grow thousands of begonias from one small packet of seed.’
- ‘Part of my garden consists of a patio on which I have many pots housing a selection of Japanese acers, begonias, marigolds and nasturtiums.’
- ‘The plants I am going to use include begonias, impatiens and verbenas, which should produce solid mounds and balls of colour.’
Modern Latin, named after Michel Bégon (1638–1710), the French amateur botanist who discovered the plant on the island of Santo Domingo and introduced it to Europe.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.