One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A herbaceous plant of warm climates, the flowers of which have brightly coloured sepals but no petals. Numerous cultivars are grown for their flowers or striking foliage.
Genus Begonia, family Begoniaceae
- ‘The plants I am going to use include begonias, impatiens and verbenas, which should produce solid mounds and balls of colour.’
- ‘Now they are relying on visitors to generously donate money while admiring the beautiful petunias, begonias and busy lizzy flowers.’
- ‘Large flowered begonias look best with fewer, larger flowers.’
- ‘Summer-flowering bulbs such as dahlias, begonias and anemones bring variety, texture, unique color and long flowering times to summer gardens.’
- ‘In summer months, bright annuals such as impatiens, begonia, and coleus make attractive companion plants.’
- ‘A diverse group of plants characterised by bright, multi-coloured flowers and leaves, begonias are plants which are found mainly in India's North-Eastern region.’
- ‘You can grow thousands of begonias from one small packet of seed.’
- ‘Rotate showy plants, such as orchids, begonias, and bromeliads, into your garden for color all year.’
- ‘To get earlier blooms, start begonias growing indoors about six weeks before your planting-out date, the date in your area when the threat of night frosts is past.’
- ‘Many people choose to plant begonias indoors in pots six weeks prior to their outside planting date to get blooms that much earlier in the summer.’
- ‘Together with gladioli, lilies and begonias, the dahlias are one of the most important and popular summer-flowering bulbs.’
- ‘Brightly coloured violas and begonias peek from every possible spot of dirt.’
- ‘Likewise, flower boxes can hang on the deck's railings with azaleas and begonias brightening up that stark wood deck.’
- ‘I feel very mature and responsible for not actually spending all that money and staying at home and planting begonias and drinking lemonade on the lawn instead.’
- ‘Part of my garden consists of a patio on which I have many pots housing a selection of Japanese acers, begonias, marigolds and nasturtiums.’
- ‘The Display House has fine begonias in summer and orchids and cyclamens during autumn and winter.’
- ‘Other plants that can be easily brought inside to over winter include coleus, geraniums, basil and begonias.’
- ‘Are you supposed to pull up begonias in the winter?’
- ‘Summer annuals such as petunias, impatiens and begonias need warmer temperatures to thrive.’
- ‘My yard always looked so nice and clean with its daylilies and begonias around each planted pine tree in the front yard.’
Mid 18th century: modern Latin, named in honour of the French administrator and amateur botanist Michel Bégon (1638–1710) by the botanist Charles Plumier (1646–1704), who discovered the plant on the island of Santo Domingo.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.