One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Expressing amazement or emphasis.
- ‘Here the torch is out, signifying that it's now evening - a bit cock-eyed that, as you usually light lamps as it gets darker. ‘Tis Ireland begob!’
- ‘Aye, begob and begorrah - this smacks of blatant racism!’
- ‘So begob, I started off and the man started after me, and just when I came behind our own house there is an old forge.’
- ‘If you don't believe the Little Green Peril is real, well, then, may the road rise to meet you as you fall on it headfirst and bloody your great horrible snout, begob.’
- ‘So begob I washed my hands and put it together as well as I could.’
Late 19th century: alteration of by God!; compare with begad.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.