One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for bur-marigold
- ‘For instance, dock and beggarticks often indicate wet soil, while thistles and mullein indicate a dry soil.’
- ‘In our meadows and some of our wilder gardens, beggarticks have run rampant with all the rain we've had here in north Florida and the butterflies are loving it.’
- ‘Lets avoid watering the the Beggarticks excessively, always leaving the soil dry for a few days between one watering and the next.’
- ‘Hairy beggarticks can be found in thin turf and disturbed areas.’
Mid 19th century (also as beggar's ticks): apparently from the resemblance of the seed pods to ticks.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.