One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for bur-marigold
- ‘For instance, dock and beggarticks often indicate wet soil, while thistles and mullein indicate a dry soil.’
- ‘Hairy beggarticks can be found in thin turf and disturbed areas.’
- ‘Lets avoid watering the the Beggarticks excessively, always leaving the soil dry for a few days between one watering and the next.’
- ‘In our meadows and some of our wilder gardens, beggarticks have run rampant with all the rain we've had here in north Florida and the butterflies are loving it.’
Mid 19th century (also as beggar's ticks): apparently from the resemblance of the seed pods to ticks.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.