One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(especially of a man) bring (a child) into existence by the process of reproduction.‘they hoped that the King might beget an heir by his new queen’
father, sire, engender, generate, spawn, create, give life to, bring into being, bring into the world, haveView synonyms
- ‘Any child begotten by Ian or myself would certainly never be recognized… even though I don't think I could have turned away a child of my blood.’
- ‘They begot seven children.’
- ‘All children are from the same mother, as our stepmother did not beget any children by my father.’
- ‘Apart from other things, she too begets children by someone other than her husband.’
- ‘A man marries in order to establish a household and beget children.’
2Cause; bring about.‘killings beget more killings’
cause, give rise to, lead to, result in, bring about, create, produce, generate, engender, spawn, occasion, effect, bring to pass, bring on, precipitate, prompt, provoke, kindle, trigger, spark off, touch off, stir up, whip up, induce, inspire, promote, fosterView synonyms
- ‘Success begets success and you start to believe that you can climb the mountain.’
- ‘Every action should produce results: good action produces good results and evil begets nothing but evil.’
- ‘And the cycle of violence begets more violence.’
- ‘Such collaborative relationships will soon beget new inspirations.’
- ‘He said violence begets violence and evil generates greater evil.’
- ‘Words shape thought, stir feeling, and beget action; they kill and revive, corrupt and cure.’
- ‘It has been a case of policy errors begetting more dangerous mistakes.’
- ‘It is a real and sad reminder that violence begets violence and that rarely does violence breed peace.’
- ‘Violence begets more violence, which begets even more violence.’
- ‘Acts of cruelty in this life beget suffering in the next.’
Old English begietan ‘get, obtain by effort’ (see be-, get).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.