One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Very quickly or suddenly.
- ‘Yet, with a ton of people assigned to wait on customers - eight clerks were politely servicing people - I had my onion bagel with vegetable tofu spread and a juice before one could say Jack Robinson.’
- ‘The canoe slides into the water in the blink of an eye and before you can say Jack Robinson it's twenty yards off shore.’
- ‘Foot to the floor and before you can say Jack Robinson you've crossed the finish line having attained a speed in excess of 300mph in a quarter mile!’
- ‘A friend of mine in Brixton kept koi carp in a raised toilet and this heron came straight in and ate the fish before you could say Jack Robinson.’
- ‘Fin has promised to invest the dough so that the boys will become millionaires "before you can say Jack Robinson".’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.