One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The edible dark red spherical root of a kind of beet, eaten as a vegetable.
- ‘Here community volunteers grow foods such as cabbage, spinach, beetroot, onion and carrots.’
- ‘We didn't eat salad except on Sundays for tea and it would only be lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber, maybe a little beetroot.’
- ‘When it starts to foam, toss in the beetroot and cook, turning frequently, for a couple of minutes until coated in butter and glossy.’
- ‘Finely chop the shallots, garlic, basil, celery, parsley and beetroot and place in a bowl.’
- ‘Carrots, radish, beetroot, turnip, could be consumed raw.’
- ‘We will grow a smaller selection of vegetables, only those which we like to eat and which we can grow well; I'm thinking of broad beans, runner beans, courgettes, spinach and beetroot.’
- ‘On the living room table are three huge salad bowls and onions, tomatoes, feta cheese, sesame seeds, beetroot, celery, spinach and garlic.’
- ‘It was served with a punchily dressed green salad and another salad of beetroot, potato and watercress.’
- ‘So far they have planted lettuce, cabbage, mustard, beetroot and pawpaw trees.’
- ‘Variety is the spice of life as the herb and salad garden comes into its own, along with beetroot and spring onions.’
- ‘The salad will have a purple/red hue from the beetroot.’
- ‘Toast the poppy seeds briefly in a small non-stick pan (I use a saucer-sized one) then scatter them over the mashed beetroot.’
- ‘The garden provided cauliflower, tomatoes, green peppers, spinach, beetroot, carrots, onions, rap and cabbage to the local market.’
- ‘I usually start the day with a juice I make from organic carrots, apples, beetroot and ginger.’
- ‘Very European, quite old-fashioned with a slice of smoked ham and old-style veggies like crinkle-cut beetroot and huge onion rings.’
- ‘Using a slotted spoon, divide the beetroot and herbs between four dinner plates and crumble the feta cheese over the top.’
- ‘Nestle the beetroot in the rock salt and scatter with thyme.’
- ‘And it was complemented texturally, visually and tastily by its marinated baby beetroots.’
- ‘The club has grown a wide variety of vegetables and herbs including carrots, Brussels sprouts and beetroot, as well as tomatoes and cucumbers in the greenhouse.’
- ‘Vegetables such as beetroot and celery benefit from a straw mulch.’
2The variety of beet which produces beetroots.
Beta vulgaris subsp. vulgaris, family Chenopodiaceae
- ‘I've also planted a few beetroot seeds and I'm planning on doing a few more tomorrow and on starting the carrots.’
- ‘The beetroot plants are looking good, and I took some of the leaves to cook yesterday although it turned into a culinary disaster so it didn't get eaten!’
- ‘I also dug up a few of the beetroot plants, but they haven't formed roots yet.’
- ‘They sowed potatoes, carrots, beetroot, lettuce, scallions, onion sets, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and celery.’
- ‘After planting the beetroot, the children were shown how to create their own pot plants out of newspaper.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.