One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The edible dark red spherical root of a kind of beet, eaten as a vegetable.
- ‘Vegetables such as beetroot and celery benefit from a straw mulch.’
- ‘Carrots, radish, beetroot, turnip, could be consumed raw.’
- ‘So far they have planted lettuce, cabbage, mustard, beetroot and pawpaw trees.’
- ‘We will grow a smaller selection of vegetables, only those which we like to eat and which we can grow well; I'm thinking of broad beans, runner beans, courgettes, spinach and beetroot.’
- ‘The salad will have a purple/red hue from the beetroot.’
- ‘Nestle the beetroot in the rock salt and scatter with thyme.’
- ‘Very European, quite old-fashioned with a slice of smoked ham and old-style veggies like crinkle-cut beetroot and huge onion rings.’
- ‘The club has grown a wide variety of vegetables and herbs including carrots, Brussels sprouts and beetroot, as well as tomatoes and cucumbers in the greenhouse.’
- ‘I usually start the day with a juice I make from organic carrots, apples, beetroot and ginger.’
- ‘Using a slotted spoon, divide the beetroot and herbs between four dinner plates and crumble the feta cheese over the top.’
- ‘And it was complemented texturally, visually and tastily by its marinated baby beetroots.’
- ‘Here community volunteers grow foods such as cabbage, spinach, beetroot, onion and carrots.’
- ‘On the living room table are three huge salad bowls and onions, tomatoes, feta cheese, sesame seeds, beetroot, celery, spinach and garlic.’
- ‘It was served with a punchily dressed green salad and another salad of beetroot, potato and watercress.’
- ‘The garden provided cauliflower, tomatoes, green peppers, spinach, beetroot, carrots, onions, rap and cabbage to the local market.’
- ‘Finely chop the shallots, garlic, basil, celery, parsley and beetroot and place in a bowl.’
- ‘We didn't eat salad except on Sundays for tea and it would only be lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber, maybe a little beetroot.’
- ‘Toast the poppy seeds briefly in a small non-stick pan (I use a saucer-sized one) then scatter them over the mashed beetroot.’
- ‘Variety is the spice of life as the herb and salad garden comes into its own, along with beetroot and spring onions.’
- ‘When it starts to foam, toss in the beetroot and cook, turning frequently, for a couple of minutes until coated in butter and glossy.’
2The variety of beet which produces beetroots.
- ‘After planting the beetroot, the children were shown how to create their own pot plants out of newspaper.’
- ‘The beetroot plants are looking good, and I took some of the leaves to cook yesterday although it turned into a culinary disaster so it didn't get eaten!’
- ‘I've also planted a few beetroot seeds and I'm planning on doing a few more tomorrow and on starting the carrots.’
- ‘I also dug up a few of the beetroot plants, but they haven't formed roots yet.’
- ‘They sowed potatoes, carrots, beetroot, lettuce, scallions, onion sets, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and celery.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.