Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The edible dark-red spherical root of a kind of beet, eaten as a vegetable.
- ‘Vegetables such as beetroot and celery benefit from a straw mulch.’
- ‘Variety is the spice of life as the herb and salad garden comes into its own, along with beetroot and spring onions.’
- ‘The salad will have a purple/red hue from the beetroot.’
- ‘On the living room table are three huge salad bowls and onions, tomatoes, feta cheese, sesame seeds, beetroot, celery, spinach and garlic.’
- ‘So far they have planted lettuce, cabbage, mustard, beetroot and pawpaw trees.’
- ‘Here community volunteers grow foods such as cabbage, spinach, beetroot, onion and carrots.’
- ‘We will grow a smaller selection of vegetables, only those which we like to eat and which we can grow well; I'm thinking of broad beans, runner beans, courgettes, spinach and beetroot.’
- ‘Carrots, radish, beetroot, turnip, could be consumed raw.’
- ‘Nestle the beetroot in the rock salt and scatter with thyme.’
- ‘It was served with a punchily dressed green salad and another salad of beetroot, potato and watercress.’
- ‘I usually start the day with a juice I make from organic carrots, apples, beetroot and ginger.’
- ‘We didn't eat salad except on Sundays for tea and it would only be lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber, maybe a little beetroot.’
- ‘Very European, quite old-fashioned with a slice of smoked ham and old-style veggies like crinkle-cut beetroot and huge onion rings.’
- ‘The garden provided cauliflower, tomatoes, green peppers, spinach, beetroot, carrots, onions, rap and cabbage to the local market.’
- ‘Finely chop the shallots, garlic, basil, celery, parsley and beetroot and place in a bowl.’
- ‘The club has grown a wide variety of vegetables and herbs including carrots, Brussels sprouts and beetroot, as well as tomatoes and cucumbers in the greenhouse.’
- ‘Toast the poppy seeds briefly in a small non-stick pan (I use a saucer-sized one) then scatter them over the mashed beetroot.’
- ‘When it starts to foam, toss in the beetroot and cook, turning frequently, for a couple of minutes until coated in butter and glossy.’
- ‘And it was complemented texturally, visually and tastily by its marinated baby beetroots.’
- ‘Using a slotted spoon, divide the beetroot and herbs between four dinner plates and crumble the feta cheese over the top.’
2The variety of beet which produces beetroots.
- ‘I also dug up a few of the beetroot plants, but they haven't formed roots yet.’
- ‘The beetroot plants are looking good, and I took some of the leaves to cook yesterday although it turned into a culinary disaster so it didn't get eaten!’
- ‘They sowed potatoes, carrots, beetroot, lettuce, scallions, onion sets, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and celery.’
- ‘After planting the beetroot, the children were shown how to create their own pot plants out of newspaper.’
- ‘I've also planted a few beetroot seeds and I'm planning on doing a few more tomorrow and on starting the carrots.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.