One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The edible dark red spherical root of a kind of beet, eaten as a vegetable.
- ‘We will grow a smaller selection of vegetables, only those which we like to eat and which we can grow well; I'm thinking of broad beans, runner beans, courgettes, spinach and beetroot.’
- ‘Finely chop the shallots, garlic, basil, celery, parsley and beetroot and place in a bowl.’
- ‘Carrots, radish, beetroot, turnip, could be consumed raw.’
- ‘And it was complemented texturally, visually and tastily by its marinated baby beetroots.’
- ‘It was served with a punchily dressed green salad and another salad of beetroot, potato and watercress.’
- ‘When it starts to foam, toss in the beetroot and cook, turning frequently, for a couple of minutes until coated in butter and glossy.’
- ‘The salad will have a purple/red hue from the beetroot.’
- ‘The garden provided cauliflower, tomatoes, green peppers, spinach, beetroot, carrots, onions, rap and cabbage to the local market.’
- ‘Using a slotted spoon, divide the beetroot and herbs between four dinner plates and crumble the feta cheese over the top.’
- ‘Vegetables such as beetroot and celery benefit from a straw mulch.’
- ‘So far they have planted lettuce, cabbage, mustard, beetroot and pawpaw trees.’
- ‘Nestle the beetroot in the rock salt and scatter with thyme.’
- ‘Variety is the spice of life as the herb and salad garden comes into its own, along with beetroot and spring onions.’
- ‘Toast the poppy seeds briefly in a small non-stick pan (I use a saucer-sized one) then scatter them over the mashed beetroot.’
- ‘We didn't eat salad except on Sundays for tea and it would only be lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber, maybe a little beetroot.’
- ‘I usually start the day with a juice I make from organic carrots, apples, beetroot and ginger.’
- ‘The club has grown a wide variety of vegetables and herbs including carrots, Brussels sprouts and beetroot, as well as tomatoes and cucumbers in the greenhouse.’
- ‘Here community volunteers grow foods such as cabbage, spinach, beetroot, onion and carrots.’
- ‘On the living room table are three huge salad bowls and onions, tomatoes, feta cheese, sesame seeds, beetroot, celery, spinach and garlic.’
- ‘Very European, quite old-fashioned with a slice of smoked ham and old-style veggies like crinkle-cut beetroot and huge onion rings.’
2The variety of beet which produces beetroots.
Beta vulgaris subsp. vulgaris, family Chenopodiaceae
- ‘After planting the beetroot, the children were shown how to create their own pot plants out of newspaper.’
- ‘The beetroot plants are looking good, and I took some of the leaves to cook yesterday although it turned into a culinary disaster so it didn't get eaten!’
- ‘They sowed potatoes, carrots, beetroot, lettuce, scallions, onion sets, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and celery.’
- ‘I also dug up a few of the beetroot plants, but they haven't formed roots yet.’
- ‘I've also planted a few beetroot seeds and I'm planning on doing a few more tomorrow and on starting the carrots.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.