One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A herbaceous plant widely cultivated as a source of food for humans and livestock, and for processing into sugar. Some varieties are grown for their leaves and some for their large nutritious root.
Beta vulgaris, family Chenopodiaceae: several subspecies
- ‘It costs twice as much to produce sugar from the beet grown in Europe than from the cane grown elsewhere.’
- ‘We plant successive crops of beets all season long, so they are almost always available to include.’
- ‘Maize and beet are widely grown in the Park by organic and non-organic farmers as livestock fodder crops.’
- ‘Since it is derived from sugar beets, it contains a rich spectrum of nutrients.’
- ‘The surrounding farmers raise sugar beets, corn, and sunflowers for oil.’
- ‘Sweet stuff, usually white when processed, sometimes brown, made from sugar beets or sugarcane…’
- ‘Slugs are attacking my leaf beet leaves growing in one of the containers on the patio.’
- ‘It also contained two to three times the sugar content of sugar cane or sugar beets - think sugared cereal for cows.’
- ‘Europeans actually get their sugar from sugar beets which is laughable.’
- ‘Major crops are wheat and other grains, sugar beets, and potatoes.’
- ‘Another major industry concern is the tendency of mud and soil to stick to sugar beets at harvest, embedded in natural ridges.’
- ‘Finally I took pity on the leaf beet plants outside which were still looking rather sad, and repotted them into fresh compost.’
- ‘Relatively easy to grow, beets are hardy and grow best in cool weather.’
- ‘Its agricultural crops are wheat, potatoes, sugar beets, barley, grapes, and cheese.’
- ‘The major crops grown by large agricultural enterprises are grain, sunflower seeds, and sugar beets.’
- ‘We have to build these tools for sugar beets because very few members of its plant family have been mapped.’
- ‘The main crops are wheat, corn, sugar beets, sunflower seeds, and wine grapes.’
- ‘I also planted out the leaf beet seeds - they're not so large but they will do equally well outside.’
- ‘Most sugar beets are rough and grooved, so lots of soil sticks to them when they're pulled from the ground.’
- ‘In agriculture the main products are meat and dairy, potatoes, sugar beets, barley, wheat, and turnips.’
2North Americananother term for beetroot
Old English bēte, of West Germanic origin, from Latin beta, perhaps of Celtic origin; related to Dutch beet and German Bete.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.