One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A herbaceous plant widely cultivated as a source of food for humans and livestock, and for processing into sugar. Some varieties are grown for their leaves and some for their swollen nutritious root.
repair, fix, put back together, piece together, patch up, restore, sew, sew up, stitch, darn, patch, cobble, botch, vamp, vamp upView synonyms
- ‘Maize and beet are widely grown in the Park by organic and non-organic farmers as livestock fodder crops.’
- ‘The surrounding farmers raise sugar beets, corn, and sunflowers for oil.’
- ‘It also contained two to three times the sugar content of sugar cane or sugar beets - think sugared cereal for cows.’
- ‘Sweet stuff, usually white when processed, sometimes brown, made from sugar beets or sugarcane…’
- ‘The major crops grown by large agricultural enterprises are grain, sunflower seeds, and sugar beets.’
- ‘We plant successive crops of beets all season long, so they are almost always available to include.’
- ‘We have to build these tools for sugar beets because very few members of its plant family have been mapped.’
- ‘Another major industry concern is the tendency of mud and soil to stick to sugar beets at harvest, embedded in natural ridges.’
- ‘Most sugar beets are rough and grooved, so lots of soil sticks to them when they're pulled from the ground.’
- ‘In agriculture the main products are meat and dairy, potatoes, sugar beets, barley, wheat, and turnips.’
- ‘Slugs are attacking my leaf beet leaves growing in one of the containers on the patio.’
- ‘Europeans actually get their sugar from sugar beets which is laughable.’
- ‘Its agricultural crops are wheat, potatoes, sugar beets, barley, grapes, and cheese.’
- ‘Finally I took pity on the leaf beet plants outside which were still looking rather sad, and repotted them into fresh compost.’
- ‘I also planted out the leaf beet seeds - they're not so large but they will do equally well outside.’
- ‘Major crops are wheat and other grains, sugar beets, and potatoes.’
- ‘Relatively easy to grow, beets are hardy and grow best in cool weather.’
- ‘It costs twice as much to produce sugar from the beet grown in Europe than from the cane grown elsewhere.’
- ‘The main crops are wheat, corn, sugar beets, sunflower seeds, and wine grapes.’
- ‘Since it is derived from sugar beets, it contains a rich spectrum of nutrients.’
- 1.1North American term for beetroot
Old English bēte, of West Germanic origin, from Latin beta, perhaps of Celtic origin; related to Dutch beet and German Bete.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.