Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A drinking game in which players attempt to throw or hit table tennis balls into cups of beer, and their opponents are required to drink the contents of any cup in which a ball lands.‘the bar was fairly empty but we had a great time playing beer pong’
- ‘Last fall, Georgetown University banned beer pong, beer-pong tables and inordinate numbers of Ping-Pong balls in its dorms – even in the rooms of students of legal drinking age.’
- ‘Nobody was really interested in making new friends, or in going out; they just wanted to sit around playing beer pong with their high school buddies.’
- ‘Police said they found bottles of beer, hard liquor, and two tables set up for the drinking game "beer pong."’
- ‘She turns around to fill my beer pong cups with Molson, and I peruse the room.’
- ‘Across the country, adults are returning to college, and it's not because they want to learn how to play beer pong.’
- ‘For many parents and college officials, beer pong has become synonymous with binge drinking.’
- ‘People were playing Beer Pong and Flip Cup and other such shenanigans when we arrived but after a while the party moved inside.’
- ‘Many former club members were surprised to learn an American had been accepted, but the newcomer has already made an important cultural contribution to night life: introducing beer pong, a drinking game that is a staple of American fraternity life.’
- ‘"We had fun, we played beer pong, made a fire, cooked dinner, but you can only take so much being inside."’
- ‘But beer pong has certainly outgrown its frat-house roots.’
1970s: from beer and ping-pong.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.