One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small cardboard table mat for resting glasses on in a bar or pub.
table mat, place matView synonyms
- ‘He asked Damien as he fiddled with a beer mat out of boredom.’
- ‘With just two bottles of spirits, a handful of beer mats and a small stack of glasses, Brockenhurst's newest pub probably sounds a bit downmarket.’
- ‘Every drinker with functioning tastebuds who has had the good fortune to sup a pint of Rooster's Yankee has one thought when placing a drained glass upon soggy beer mat.’
- ‘‘We're fine, yep, and grateful for the drinks,’ she assured Vaughn, raising her drink briefly to Ed, who merely nodded back, studying the beer mat intently.’
- ‘Pubs in York are to be blitzed with beer mats and posters warning about the dangers of messing around with fireworks.’
- ‘But when he left I found this poem scribbled on a beer mat.’
- ‘‘I always try to do something that I want to do,’ he says earnestly, tearing up a beer mat.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.