One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small cardboard table mat for resting glasses on in a bar or pub.
table mat, place matView synonyms
- ‘Pubs in York are to be blitzed with beer mats and posters warning about the dangers of messing around with fireworks.’
- ‘With just two bottles of spirits, a handful of beer mats and a small stack of glasses, Brockenhurst's newest pub probably sounds a bit downmarket.’
- ‘Every drinker with functioning tastebuds who has had the good fortune to sup a pint of Rooster's Yankee has one thought when placing a drained glass upon soggy beer mat.’
- ‘He asked Damien as he fiddled with a beer mat out of boredom.’
- ‘But when he left I found this poem scribbled on a beer mat.’
- ‘‘I always try to do something that I want to do,’ he says earnestly, tearing up a beer mat.’
- ‘‘We're fine, yep, and grateful for the drinks,’ she assured Vaughn, raising her drink briefly to Ed, who merely nodded back, studying the beer mat intently.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.