One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
often with negative Amusement or enjoyment.‘life isn't all beer and skittles’
pleasure, entertainment, enjoyment, amusement, excitement, gratificationView synonyms
- ‘As we well know, the writer's life is all beer and skittles, answerable to no-one, making vast fortunes from every stroke of the pen… and those fabulous public engagements, reading to masses of adoring fans.’
- ‘For the elderly, the late life period is not one of beer and skittles, but rather one of transition and adjustment to loss.’
- ‘So there you go, it's not all beer and skittles being top dog.’
- ‘And as he said, working in China isn't all beer and skittles.’
- ‘Long term intense relationships have parts where you have to work at it - it ain't all beer and skittles.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.