One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A minute fly which is a parasite of honeybees, the larvae feeding on wax and stored pollen.
Braula coeca, family Braulidae
- ‘This mite is often confused with the bee louse, but the bee louse has only six legs, is more circular in shape, and is slightly larger.’
- ‘This is very good news, because bee lice have decimated wild bee populations around here, and this swarm may be a sign of recovery of the local population.’
- ‘Honey production by strong colonies infested with bee lice appears to be little affected.’
- ‘Greater Poison potions can be used to combat insects (such as the wax moth) or parasites (such as the bee louse) that infest a hive.’
- ‘I have encountered a beautiful pamphlet on Varroa mites, complete with color pictures of mites and how to tell them from bee lice, which are also present here.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.