One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A minute fly which is a parasite of honeybees, the larvae feeding on wax and stored pollen.
Braula coeca, family Braulidae
- ‘I have encountered a beautiful pamphlet on Varroa mites, complete with color pictures of mites and how to tell them from bee lice, which are also present here.’
- ‘Greater Poison potions can be used to combat insects (such as the wax moth) or parasites (such as the bee louse) that infest a hive.’
- ‘This is very good news, because bee lice have decimated wild bee populations around here, and this swarm may be a sign of recovery of the local population.’
- ‘This mite is often confused with the bee louse, but the bee louse has only six legs, is more circular in shape, and is slightly larger.’
- ‘Honey production by strong colonies infested with bee lice appears to be little affected.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.