Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘I thought my father in his time would have preferred scarlet bee balm and black-eyed Susans.’
- ‘Sunlight flashed tree shadows on the farm's face as beams broke from behind a cloud, and a head-turning buzz brought my eyes to the scarlet bee balm flowers beside me.’
- ‘That is more than fifty times the amount produced by a single jewelweed or bee balm flower visited by ruby-throated hummingbirds during the summertime in eastern North America.’
- ‘Native wildflowers such as black-eyed susans and phlox also bring them in, as does the aptly named bee balm, a hardy, spreading perennial that Native Americans used for tea.’
- ‘Among popular hummingbird plants are single varieties of trumpet creeper, impatiens, bee balm, and salvia.’
- ‘The mints are basil, bee balm, horehound, hyssop, lemon balm (also known as melissa), marjoram, oregano, peppermint, rosemary, sage, savory, spearmint and thyme.’
- ‘You can even create your own blend by adding leaves of other herbs, such as orange mint, bee balm or lemon verbena.’
- ‘We used insectary plants, including herbs like chamomile, fennel, and oregano; and flowers such as bee balm, scabiosa, sunflower, and zinnia.’
- ‘If your garden has a low, damp area, plant moisture lovers like the rosy-flowered swamp milkweed, Joe-pye weed, forget-me-nots, bee balm, and meadow sweet.’
- ‘On the south side of the fence, triangular-shaped planting beds hold low-growing crops, such as melons, peppers, and squash; herbs; and flowers, such as bee balm and scabiosa, that attract beneficial insects.’
- ‘Old-fashioned, heirloom-type flowers like bee balm, black-eyed Susan, cleome, sunflower, and zinnia are also excellent; they have more pollen and nectar than highly developed hybrids.’
- ‘And be sure to include herbs: fennel, oregano, lavender, bee balm, and sage.’
- ‘He noticed the snapdragons and bee balm growing along the walk beside the mangled chrysanthemums.’
- ‘Hummingbirds, for example, are attracted to red flowers, such as bee balm, although you also may wish to fill a hummingbird feeder with a sugar-water mixture.’
- ‘Provide bright flowers such as columbine, Japanese quince, scarlet sage, snapdragons, coral bells, trumpet honeysuckle, bee balm, phlox and others that are tube-shaped to attract hummingbirds.’
- ‘‘Red flowers, like bee balm, make a wonderful accent,’ she adds, ‘but a little goes a long way.’’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.