Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A decorative cloth used to cover a bed when it is not in use.
cover, covering, rug, afghan, quilt, eiderdown, duvetView synonyms
- ‘Rochelle tugged at her bedspread so it would fall forward and cover all the junk hidden under her bed.’
- ‘Then I've got me (in socks), my hot water bottle, and then two duvets, a blanket and a bedspread.’
- ‘The long blond hair fanned about her on the pillow, across the bedspread.’
- ‘The bed was an ordinary bed with a black bedspread and white pillows.’
- ‘I want to stay under the protection of the green bedspread and white sheets forever as if it is my cocoon away from everyone else.’
- ‘My bedspread and pillows were all dark green and had two black stripes going diagonally across them.’
- ‘The bed was a large queen size one, with white sheets and a white bedspread with pink embroidered flowers on it, something my wife Michelle requested.’
- ‘There is a double bed up against one of the walls and a single opposite it, covered in shabby bedspreads with even more burn holes than our previous covers.’
- ‘A large bed with a purple bedspread dominated one wall, covered in stuffed animals in a variety of colors.’
- ‘Looking again she realised there wasn't a mattress on the bed, just a thin bedspread covering a divan, with drawers underneath.’
- ‘Use red or green coloured pillow covers and bedspreads in the bedroom.’
- ‘Everything has gone,’ said Ms Nkandu who orders blankets and bedspreads from Tanzania.’
- ‘A collection of antique quilts and bedspreads are pressed into service for those who prefer to lounge on the grass.’
- ‘I had a day bed in the corner by the window with a purple bedspread, blue sheets, and a purple pillow.’
- ‘She lunged and landed on her queen sized bed, which was covered in a pink bedspread.’
- ‘So in terms of home furnishing it is expected to have curtain, bedspreads, cushion covers etc.’
- ‘There are beautifully designed bedsheets, bedspreads, carpets, bed covers, pillow covers and cushions.’
- ‘He opened it up to reveal navy blue walls, and a bed covered with a thin bedspread.’
- ‘Soon they'd have enough money to but the children another mattress, with sheets and bedspreads, too.’
- ‘Her bedspread was decorated with all sorts of Asian scripts, which was an impressive sight on her bed.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.