One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A residential suburb inhabited largely by people who commute to a nearby city for work.‘a bedroom community outside of Los Angeles’
- ‘Awash in rental houses, "it was a bedroom community for the University of Washington."’
- ‘About an hour's drive from the Roseau River reserve, Ste Anne is a Winnipeg bedroom community with a population of just over 1,500.’
- ‘Many of these newly developed bedroom communities were good places to sack out, but there was no there, there.’
- ‘Art from this era depicts the development of suburban bedroom communities and freeways.’
- ‘Ballerup, a bedroom community near the capital, provided a perfect laboratory.’
- ‘Each community should have enough jobs for the people who live there (as opposed to moving between bedroom community and city core).’
- ‘Mountain Brook is really just a closet - a bedroom community of Birmingham.’
- ‘Such a view defined the suburb as an economically dependent, homogeneous, racially exclusive, manicured bedroom community focused on the family.’
- ‘Tulum began to serve as a bedroom community for surrounding resorts' immigrant workers.’
- ‘Town leaders were frustrated that Evanston was becoming a bedroom community for Chicago.’
- ‘When small towns and villages become bedroom communities their economic vitality erodes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.