One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A residential suburb inhabited largely by people who commute to a nearby city for work.‘a bedroom community outside of Los Angeles’
- ‘Town leaders were frustrated that Evanston was becoming a bedroom community for Chicago.’
- ‘About an hour's drive from the Roseau River reserve, Ste Anne is a Winnipeg bedroom community with a population of just over 1,500.’
- ‘Many of these newly developed bedroom communities were good places to sack out, but there was no there, there.’
- ‘Each community should have enough jobs for the people who live there (as opposed to moving between bedroom community and city core).’
- ‘When small towns and villages become bedroom communities their economic vitality erodes.’
- ‘Ballerup, a bedroom community near the capital, provided a perfect laboratory.’
- ‘Tulum began to serve as a bedroom community for surrounding resorts' immigrant workers.’
- ‘Art from this era depicts the development of suburban bedroom communities and freeways.’
- ‘Mountain Brook is really just a closet - a bedroom community of Birmingham.’
- ‘Awash in rental houses, "it was a bedroom community for the University of Washington."’
- ‘Such a view defined the suburb as an economically dependent, homogeneous, racially exclusive, manicured bedroom community focused on the family.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.