One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A jacket worn for extra warmth when sitting up in bed.
- ‘Some items (e.g. nightdresses, bedjackets, etc) are given to our Frail Care Homes.’
- ‘Who among us remembers lying in bed as a child, sick with measles, and wearing a pink sateen quilted bedjacket with ribbon ties that inevitably fell off your shoulders?’
- ‘Well just give her these magazines and send the bedjacket later.’
- ‘Mlle Dieudonne led us into the bedroom where Boulanger lay in a pink bedjacket on a cloud of lacy pillows.’
- ‘If one needed to go to the hospital one had to have a new nightdress, bedjacket, new toiletries, perhaps a pair of slippers too.’
- ‘How could you properly play house without aprons and raincoats, bedjackets for sick people and bibs for whoever was being the baby?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.