One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Cause to become dim.‘a slight cloud would bedim the sky’
envelop, surround, swathe, enfold, cover, cover up, conceal, hide, secrete, camouflage, disguise, mask, screen, shield, cloak, blanket, shroud, enwrap, canopy, overlayView synonyms
- ‘It is the unbreakable staff of the arm, it has the powerful luster and its light even bedims the radiance of the sun.’
- ‘Unfurled in baleful grandeur, like some dark cloud of heaven, surcharged with thunder and the brewing tempest, it rides the air, and bedims the beams of day.’
- ‘When the consciousness is bedimmed, when the higher concepts seem far removed, at least ponder about unity in actions of good.’
- ‘At a Texas State Fair some four or five years since the President of the Confederate States was seen turning, with eyes bedimmed by tears, away from a picture at which he had been silently gazing.’
- ‘This is often translated into a feeling of ‘distance’, specifically the notion of observing or having one's view bedimmed or obscured by some form of barrier.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.