Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1British An upright board or panel fixed at the head of a bed.
- ‘As he read through the morning newspapers, propped up by the pillows and the bedhead, he would cast each completed page across the floor.’
- ‘On the whole, it is better to use black in a more controlled way, such as behind you on a bedhead, where you are not looking at it all the time.’
- ‘The master bedroom has built in wardrobes surrounding the bedhead, two windows overlooking the front garden and an en suite bathroom.’
- ‘I remember this big stone room that had iron beds, and there were two bedheads put together.’
- ‘All the rooms (each named after a flower) are prettily decorated in pastel colours, and the painted cast-iron bedheads are delightful.’
2informal [mass noun] Hair with an untidy appearance, such as results from lying in bed:‘her artfully messy bedhead’[as modifier] ‘a trendy bedhead look’
- ‘There is a wee bit of bedhead in the back of the head going on there.’
- ‘Last week, Charlie said I had the worst case of bedhead he had ever seen.’
- ‘She ran a straightening iron through her layered shoulder-length hair, swiftly transforming the bedhead to office chic.’
- ‘She wears her brunette locks in messy bedhead curls.’
- ‘A man with bedhead and cut-off khaki shorts stands nearby.’
- ‘He sports a permanent bedhead.’
- ‘The best look award goes to the second guitarist, who had funky, glam-rock, bedhead and a nice shirt.’
- ‘Y'all should have seen my terrible case of bedhead when I got up this morning.’
- ‘I like to go on the weekends, when the crowd is mixed: parents with strollers, hot hipster guys, and lonely singles with bedhead.’
- ‘Her hair is styled in loose bedhead waves.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.