Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A plant set into a garden bed or container when it is about to bloom, typically an annual used for display and discarded at the end of the season.
- ‘I have remedied this by rushing out at lunchtime to the local garden centre to buy bedding plants that are flowering, which I'll quickly pot up tonight.’
- ‘Choose from our large selection of bedding plants, shrubs, potting plants.’
- ‘Do not use it on bedding plants or in areas where bedding plants will be planted within 1 year following application or on ground covers until they are established and well rooted.’
- ‘There will be a large selection perennials, bedding plants, pot plants, shrubs, trees, heathers, containers and planters.’
- ‘She needed some bedding plants for her hanging baskets.’
- ‘Use as a bedding plant, container plant, in a mixed border or butterfly garden.’
- ‘The most popular plants to grow are annual bedding plants, which produce all of their flowers in one season, and are considered to be the gardener's favorite.’
- ‘Don't be tempted by tender bedding plants in garden centres yet.’
- ‘There are also plenty of hardy summer bedding plants shrubs and trees which can be planted now.’
- ‘The ladies who look after the flowers have been selecting the bedding plants and preparing the planters and hanging baskets.’
- ‘There was a large selection of bedding plants, shrubs, flowers and trees, something of choice for everyone.’
- ‘A trip to your local garden centre now will reveal a good range of bedding plants that can be planted immediately.’
- ‘Grass on the other hand needs to be cut fortnightly and bedding plants need to be planted and dug up twice a year, weeded regularly, deadheaded and fertilised.’
- ‘Generally, dwarf varieties of Dahlias are started as bedding plants and then treated as annual plants.’
- ‘I've planted some of them this morning - according to the packet you can grow them all year round for foliage houseplants, or in spring if you want to use them as summer bedding plants in the garden.’
- ‘There are also plenty of hardy spring bedding plants which can be planted now and container grown shrubs and trees which can be planted at any time.’
- ‘Against my better judgement we went to the garden centre for a few trays of summer bedding plants.’
- ‘It can be used as a bedding plant, and produces a continuos blaze of color from early summer until the first frost of late autumn.’
- ‘There will be a large display of bedding plants, trees, shrubs and roses for sale.’
- ‘In May, there will be a wide range of bedding plants, plants for hanging baskets and pots all at competitive prices.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.