Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Sexually attractive or available.
good-looking, attractive, nice-looking, handsome, lovely, beautiful, pretty, as pretty as a picture, stunning, striking, arresting, prepossessing, winning, fetching, captivating, bewitching, beguiling, engaging, charming, charismatic, enchanting, appealing, delightful, irresistibleView synonyms
- ‘He was a honey-voiced charmer, as effective with judges as with voters and beddable women.’
- ‘Mary, many thanks for steaming up my screen tonight with the beddable hunk.’
- ‘Bernard is in love with the highly beddable Lenina.’
- ‘He had trouble with women as equals - women to him were either beddable or they weren't.’
- ‘The men in this neighborhood made no pretense about who they thought were beddable.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.