One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Smear or daub with a sticky substance.‘a dozen maidens, all bedaubed with paint’
smear, plaster, bespatter, splash, stain, spatter, splatter, cake, cover thickly, smother, coat, defacesmear, daub, bespatter, stain, spatter, splatter, cover, coatView synonyms
- ‘The effect is like bedaubing a marble statue with paint.’
- ‘When the children were brought back dirty, greasy, bedaubed, and so tired that they could hardly hold up their little heads, her indignation knew no bounds, and as she was perfectly fearless.’
- ‘These poor wretches were stunted in their growth, their hideous faces bedaubed with white paint, their skins filthy and greasy, their hair entangled, their voices discordant, and their gestures violent.’
- ‘Right before the flash she would kiss him, bedaubing his stoic cheek with bright lipstick.’
- ‘They were not yet bedaubed with war paint, but they were as restless as panthers in a cage, and it was only a matter of days when they would whoop and howl with the loudest.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.