One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Stain or splash with dirty liquid or blood.‘idols of gold bedabbled all with blood’
splash, bespatter, splatter, spray, sprinkle, spritz, shower, speck, speckle, fleck, mottle, blotch, smear, stain, mark, dirty, soil, daub, coverView synonyms
- ‘Before him slain lay that most murderous hound Orthros, in furious might like Kerberos his brother-hound: a herdman lay thereby, Eurytion, all bedabbled with his blood.’
- ‘And now that the battle had ceased, it was a sight to see where the encounter took place, the earth bedabbled with gore.’
- ‘But he would not be known to have so done; but I am sure he was soundly bedabbled with that kind of dirt.’
- ‘He has only slit the flap of one of his ears, and the trickling blood bedabbles his body.’
- ‘Deeply distressed, the manager sprang to his feet and asked what was the matter, then getting no answer climbed up on the seat and caressed him, cheek to cheek, so that his own face was bedabbled by the trapeze artist's tears.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.