Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘And she should not, if she values becomingness, attempt to follow every whim of Fashion.’
- ‘The idea of character denies my becomingness and emphasized my beingness.’
- ‘Dignified affability is the becomingness of superiority, which while it does not remove the line of distinction, does not render it painfully visible.’
- ‘The mode of hairdressing has a great deal to do with the becomingness of hats.’
- ‘Delight in the boy can only be sharpened by the pathos and irony of his condition of becomingness.’
- ‘And talking about a beneficial effect upon a woman's complexion, let me mention once again the exceeding becomingness of the new shades of blue, these being rather of the sugar-paper order of blue, but a little lighter in colour perhaps, yet having that vivid tone about it.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.