One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A way of evaluating whether or not a film or other work of fiction portrays women in a way that is sexist or characterized by gender stereotyping. To pass the Bechdel test a work must feature at least two women, these women must talk to each other, and their conversation must concern something other than a man.‘a lot of Hollywood movies fail the Bechdel test miserably’
- ‘It also passes the Bechdel test with flying colors, giving female characters decent screentime together.’
- ‘Named for its popularizer, the Bechdel test has three requirements an artistic piece must meet in order to pass.’
- ‘The system measures whether or not a film passes the Bechdel Test.’
- ‘Movie theaters in Sweden have begun using the Bechdel Test to rate the level of meaningful female presence in movies.’
- ‘Hollywood films have a long-standing tradition of minimalizing women's roles, and a very simple way to demonstrate this is the Bechdel Test.’
Early 21st century: from the name of the US cartoonist Alison Bechdel, who formulated the criteria in 1985 in a comic strip ‘The Rule’, part of the series Dykes To Watch Out For (1983–2008).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.