One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Happen or find by chance.‘the most extraordinary person I ever have bechanced upon’with object ‘the occasion to be in London finally bechanced him’
happen, occur, take place, come about, transpire, arise, chanceView synonyms
- ‘My sons - God knows what hath bechanced them.’
- ‘It was only yesterday morning that she had bechanced to see it, not surprisingly following a discussion on that very same subject.’
- ‘He had no choice, apparently, but to go sleep in the bushes in his local park, where, happily, he bechanced upon a coat that provided a smidgin of warmth.’
- ‘So, fearing lest a worse thing should bechance him, from Abbeville he went up to Paris.’
- ‘I must ask of you to take a small body of picked men, and ride forth towards Blois, and see what bechances there.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.