One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1British A place known for its beautiful scenery.
- ‘Furious park users claim that a popular beauty spot has been churned up by speeding quad bikes - because the council wanted to swell its coffers.’
- ‘Police last night confirmed that the unnamed beauty spot was among the areas where they were conducting fingertip and forensic searches.’
- ‘Her ordeal began on Saturday afternoon as she and her 26-year-old South African boyfriend were visiting the Kruger National Park, a beauty spot that is a magnet for tourists.’
- ‘Building new holiday chalets at a beauty spot would mean fewer cottages in the area being bought as second homes, it is claimed.’
- ‘A volunteer who helps maintain a York beauty spot has pleaded for more help from local people after rubbish and broken glass was left scattered across the site.’
- ‘As for this area being a beauty spot, it is just a roadside verge, nor more, no less.’
- ‘Almost 1,000 farms around the Dales beauty spot have been placed under restrictions and livestock movements cancelled.’
- ‘Another beauty spot that crops up in more than 30 paintings is the long-abandoned quarry at Bibémus, a short drive from the centre of Aix, which will be accessible to the public for the first time from April.’
- ‘Campaigners fighting to save public conveniences at a popular beauty spot from closure have been heartened by a response to their concerns from a leading health official, reports Addison.’
- ‘Campaigners working to save a Yeadon beauty spot from developers have victory in sight - but they have warned not to be complacent.’
- ‘A steel fence has been put round a Cheshire beauty spot by a developer involved in a long-running planning battle over the site.’
- ‘A massive clean-up campaign is to be mounted at a Leigh beauty spot used as a caravan site by a group of travellers.’
- ‘He has witnessed changes in the area over the last four decades and said he is saddened by the current state of what used to be a picturesque beauty spot.’
- ‘Momentarily I considered towing it to a nearby beauty spot where people were camping illegally.’
- ‘A battle over the right to walk in a beauty spot on the edge of Keighley is to be waged at a public inquiry.’
- ‘He said that it now seemed ridiculous to promote the area as a beauty spot when its most prominent features were litter, dumped cars, potholes and broken down signs.’
- ‘The campaign to keep the site as a publicly-managed beauty spot was sparked by fears it would be sold off and closed to the public.’
- ‘Visitor numbers calculated at the end of this year's Falcon Watch show that two of the birds perching high on the rocks in Malham Cove have drawn more than 21,000 people to the beauty spot over the last three months.’
- ‘Residents in Wootton Bassett say any development on a beauty spot will spoil the local landscape and create traffic chaos.’
- ‘Making their way from Knockholt, they went over ploughed fields and passed by the estate of Lullingstone the famous beauty spot of Eynsford, where they halted for lunch.’
2A small natural or artificial mark such as a mole on a woman's face, considered to enhance her attractiveness.
- ‘My face and hair was done much the same as Claire's, and I sported an artificial beauty spot positioned just under my right eye.’
- ‘I wanted them to see us, beauty spots, warts and all.’
- ‘Finally, the mole beneath her mouth was downgraded from beauty spot to powdered pimple.’
- ‘Her small pointy nose sheltered a couple of beauty spots and a freckle, her thin and delicate face was made of white porcelain that looked as cold as her attitude.’
- ‘Even the dark mole that was near her left eye had altered itself somehow into a tiny beauty spot.’
- ‘A small beauty spot is on the left side of her face, just above the corner of her mouth.’
- ‘Always immaculately groomed, Jenner put on a beauty spot each morning and had a facelift.’
- ‘The lights have made Andromeda sweat, and her beauty spot is blurry and shaped more like a jellybean than a circle.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.