Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An establishment in which hairdressing, make-up, and similar cosmetic treatments are carried out professionally.
- ‘And I was aware in a vague, wondering way that for many women, a visit to a beauty salon was as normal as a visit to the hairdresser.’
- ‘As a licensed cosmetologist, CeCe owned and managed a beauty salon in Detroit.’
- ‘I went to get a haircut, and found the beauty parlour completely empty.’
- ‘Miss Hamilton had finished an art and design course at Trowbridge College, was working in a beauty salon in Devizes and planned a career as a hairdresser.’
- ‘And in between you will find a beauty salon, hairdresser and a small fitness centre.’
- ‘Yesterday as I drove to the beauty salon for my haircut, I was behind a big truck that had this written on the back.’
- ‘Camelot also provides a hair salon and a beauty salon.’
- ‘Within my eyesight was an investment company, a service station, a funeral home, a beauty salon, and a grocery story.’
- ‘With this prescription in hand, Jane was despatched to York hair and beauty salon Sota Hairdressing in Micklegate for a new hair-do and makeover.’
- ‘I own a beauty salon and purchased a ticket from one of my clients who was taking part in the fashion show.’
- ‘Cohen saw potential in a beauty parlour where women could get make-up done, have eyebrows plucked or false eyelash extensions applied.’
- ‘It may not be advisable to buy expensive beauty treatment equipment to set up a beauty parlour in your home if you have limited space and finances.’
- ‘With his wife's help, he opened a cosmetics department and developed a beauty salon over his brother's sports shop next door.’
- ‘After just one massage in the beauty parlour of a star-rated hotel, the size of his waistline was reduced by 2 centimetres.’
- ‘As a regular member of the Chemo Club for the last seven years, it seems like I've spent more time in the wig shop than the beauty salon.’
- ‘My old barber, astute entrepreneur that he was, turned his barber shop into a salon, and later into a beauty parlour for men.’
- ‘The beauty salon smelled like nail polish and hairspray.’
- ‘Beauty Paradise is an exclusive beauty salon in Bains Centre in Pioneers Park in Windhoek.’
- ‘Melissa and Jessyca had plans to open a beauty salon and were very good and hair and makeup.’
- ‘Staff in the beauty salon attend to the bride's hair and make-up.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.