Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A woman judged most beautiful in a beauty contest.
beautiful woman, belle, vision, charmer, enchantress, venus, goddess, beauty queen, english rose, picture, seductressView synonyms
- ‘As the 31-year-old talks about world peace, one might mistake her for a beauty queen rather than actual royalty.’
- ‘Philippines Secretary of Tourism Araneta, a former beauty queen, was in town with a delegation of hoteliers, resort owners and casino operators.’
- ‘Like Blue Peter's first ever presenter Williams, Zoe is a beauty queen, winning the title of Miss Northern Ireland in 1999.’
- ‘Van Persie's dislike for the press has only deepened since he spent two weeks in a Rotterdam police cell last summer after allegations made by a former beauty queen.’
- ‘How many changes of clothes did the former beauty queen in seat 30 row one go through today and who were the designers she was wearing?’
- ‘From beauty queen to hideously disfigured freak, Brandy personifies our preoccupation with skin-deep vanity and proves that hell hath no fury like a woman's scorn.’
- ‘As it turns out, the beauty queen, on leave from finishing a doctorate in chemistry, never wore the sealskin garment by Dolorosa Nartok.’
- ‘Her aspirations are exactly what you'd expect from a budding beauty queen.’
- ‘The pool has been a huge success, attracting not just sun worshipping locals but television stars, film makers and reporters, and even dozens of women eager to be elected the beauty queen of the beach.’
- ‘Shop assistant Jeanette, from Accrington, was a former beauty queen who clinched two local carnival titles.’
- ‘The winner of the international beauty competition held in Bangkok in May, Glebova was to open the festival last weekend sporting her official beauty queen's regalia.’
- ‘‘Sue was a Texas beauty queen, so I think I can kind of fit into that,’ she said.’
- ‘A former beauty queen, she looks like Grace Kelly and can organize the perfect charades party.’
- ‘There were some rumours I never quite got to the bottom of concerning the Sultan's brother and a beauty queen, but he has since moved to England, not altering his lifestyle.’
- ‘And appearances help people get ahead in their careers, an extreme example being a former beauty queen from Venezuela who ran for president.’
- ‘In Ankahee, releasing later this month, she plays a homemaker whose husband has an affair with a beauty queen.’
- ‘McCoist first met Allison, a former beauty queen, when he was playing for Sunderland aged 18.’
- ‘A former beauty queen, her demons began to get the better of her in mid-life.’
- ‘The only woman in his life is Grace, an aging beauty queen whom he looks after.’
- ‘The presenter, a former beauty queen, chose her favourite symbol for a ‘best of British’ logo to be used by an airline.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.