Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1In a way that pleases the senses or mind aesthetically.‘she does sing beautifully’as submodifier ‘a beautifully illustrated book’
- ‘You are likely to see elegant men and women often beautifully dressed and carrying smart shopping bags from expensive boutiques.’
- ‘Can the vampires, championed by the beautifully dangerous Selene, stop them before it's too late?’
- ‘A few of these had cushions with beautifully hand-worked needlepoint covers.’
- ‘The house, along with its beautifully kept parkland, lake and trees, was officially handed over to the alliance.’
- ‘There were two great vertical millstones of smooth red granite, which shone beautifully from the oil of the ground seeds.’
- ‘You walk through row upon row of Merlot, Chardonnay and small clusters of Sauvignon Blanc, their beautifully ripe, blue-tinged grapes demanding to be picked.’
- ‘No expense has been spared on the beautifully designed interior.’
- ‘The white walls are hung with his spare but beautifully colored canvases.’
- ‘Her beautifully rich, versatile voice slides from smoky low melodies to screaming anger in the space of a line or two.’
- ‘It is a beautifully designed volume, with illustrations of the covers of his various books.’
- 1.1 Very well; excellently.‘all the elements combine beautifully’
- ‘I think they all do that beautifully.’
- ‘We got on beautifully.’
- ‘He succeeds beautifully, and any questions raised about his control of the form get smashed to bits.’
- ‘The birchwood furniture is particularly impressive, with its understated designs that marry form and function beautifully.’
- ‘Capturing beautifully the awkwardness that follows a first intimate encounter, the scene evolves into a roller coaster of emotion.’
- ‘This great action scene, done so beautifully by Molina, once again elevates the movie.’
- ‘We draw your attention to the reactions from the Yonkers school, whose students seem to nail it all beautifully.’
- ‘The grass Purple Majesty works beautifully for a large arrangement with two or three sunflowers.’
- ‘Such a moment works so beautifully precisely because humor was not necessarily what we were expecting.’
- ‘I have been careful with the car, and it has performed beautifully from the first day.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.