Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A pop and rock group from Liverpool consisting of George Harrison, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, and Ringo Starr. Remembered for the quality and stylistic diversity of their songs (mostly written by Lennon and McCartney), they achieved success with their first single ‘Love Me Do’ (1962) and went on to produce albums such as Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967).
- 1.1Characteristic of the Beatles.‘a Beatle jacket’
- ‘‘And the wonderful thing about it is that there are no Beatle photographs in the collection,’ he says.’
- ‘Take the next five or six late-night hours and spend them singing, gyrating, drumming, and sweating under a polyester Beatle wig.’
- ‘Yesterday my band played another show in our Beatle wigs and fake English accents, at the Hotel Vancouver.’
- ‘Get out your go-go or Beatle boots: it's post-painterly abstraction time at the AGO.’
- ‘Good as these last two albums were, they lack the definition of Beatle records.’
- ‘She said she decided to donate the memorabilia because ‘Clinton is the Beatle president’.’
- ‘Keen to avoid the Beatle mania that followed him throughout his life, Harrison decided that his death would be private.’
- ‘But every Mersey cadence as enunciated by George was music, Beatle music, to American ears.’
- ‘For decades, I've been groaning about the outdated Beatle haircuts worn by aging Baby Boomers.’
- ‘Thousands upon thousands of Beatle maniacs turned out for Paul McCartney's sold-out RDS gig.’
- ‘Most young people today are as fuzzy on Beatle IDs as reporters were that February 64 weekend.’
- ‘How good the chances are of taking a trip to Value Village and finding a nice pair of size 17 Beatle boots: Not very good at all.’
- ‘John was the foundation upon which the others could build their various Beatle personalities.’
- ‘While packaged for the spiky-haired, dog-collared set, this comp will be far more at home with those given to Beatle boots and bowlcuts.’
- ‘The house contained a mass of Beatle memorabilia, including records, dolls and pictures.’
- ‘There are at least three or four different Beatle albums that you could argue were the greatest.’
- ‘From huge fans to Beatle novices, the magical mystery tour of locations relating to the band takes you all around the city from the Cavern Club to Penny Lane.’
- ‘All of the songs in the film are classic bits of Beatle pop, the template for literally hundreds of tunes and countless bands to follow.’
- ‘Apparently Jennie was a promising ballerina and pianist until she became possessed by Beatle mania.’
- ‘This brought this sparky response from self-described Beatle maniac Wendy Leathley of Haxby.’
- 1.1Characteristic of the Beatles.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.