Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A drum machine.
- ‘The mercurial troubadour has forsaken 88 keys in favor of syncopated rhythms, turntables and a human beatbox.’
- ‘Artists formerly known as Sub Sub - they of the Ain't No Love (Ain't No Use) dance hit - Doves have swapped the synths and beatboxes for epic guitar rock.’
- ‘Better still, Shaggy and Rahzel bring toasting and human beatbox to ‘Bam Bam’.’
- ‘At the beginning his face fills the screen, silent for a moment before making the human beatbox sounds that start the film.’
- ‘He wrote them with an electric guitar, a 15 watt amp and a kid's beatbox.’
- ‘To their right, a DJ creates a vibrant hip-hop soundtrack, showing off impressive scratching and beatbox skills.’
- ‘Without instruments, listeners will hear whooping, chattering, burbling, aspirating and the occasional thumping beatbox.’
- ‘As a teenager, she discovered hip-hop, then went to art college and eventually made contact with two pivotal female Svengali figures, Elastica's Justine Frischmann and raunchy MC Peaches, who taught her to use a beatbox.’
- ‘Then there are songs like ‘Triumph of the Heart’ that border hip-hop terrain by putting the beatbox front and center.’
- ‘The title is a reference to the five boroughs of their home city, whose iconic, bustling streets and block-corner beatbox sounds permeate almost every note, sample and sneering lyric of their back catalogue.’
- ‘Snowboy's lead on congas and assorted Afro-Cuban beatboxes is shared with shimmering vocals by Davide Giovanni and backed by the formidable talents of the Latin Section.’
- ‘Someone somewhere could probably explain the stark slave realities behind turning old '80s pop songs into beatbox sample fests.’
- ‘On the stunning ‘Synth Loop,’ Bök turned human drum machine, delivering rapid-fire techno rhythms to rival any hip-hop beatbox, redefining preconceptions of both electronic music and poetry.’
- ‘She had a samba groove done by a Brazilian human beatbox and wondered if I could come up with a melody or something.’
- ‘It all started with an underlying rhythm from a beatbox that we'd bought in Chinatown, then Bob played guitar to that.’
- ‘You could book her for a dinner party, for example, so instead of playing a record, Isabelle would sing and play minimal punk with dancey rhythms, with a synth and a beatbox.’
- ‘Simple elements - strummed acoustic guitar, muffled beatbox, acoustic piano, organ, occasional electronics - are arranged to create an elegant anonymity which allows the listener to listen in their own way.’
- ‘Soon, the two are joined by popping drum sounds from the beatbox; at times, when the beat speeds up, the vocals become vocalized drum samples.’
- ‘Since divorcing their drummer last year, the trio adopted samplers and beatboxes and has been steadily gaining a reputation as one of the best live acts in town, albeit with one of the shortest sets.’
- ‘Its childish simplicity, with cheap cha-cha beatbox rhythm and wobbly guitar, is both disarming and strangely poignant.’
2A radio or radio cassette player used to play loud music, especially rap.
- ‘As for subway performers who actually do exist, I really dig that dude with the trumpet and beatbox, but I haven't seen him in a while.’
- ‘We had a beatbox, and people kicked freestyles and writtens.’
- ‘Ireland stands outside Lux's window with a bouquet of flowers and his beatbox.’
- ‘Me, I'm off to go spacedancing with my renewable-energy beatbox.’
- ‘The speaker unit, which clamps just below the screen and looks like a big white bow tie, is called the beatbox.’
Imitate the sounds of a drum machine with the voice.
- ‘Anyone who's been following the Canadian version of Popstars might have seen our very own X-Wam beatboxing his way to the next round.’
- ‘MCs can rhyme, beatbox or freestyle for an open mike and battle.’
- ‘Well that's the first song done then; Tom Waits grumbling and growling like only he can, beatboxing now too, just for kicks, while his son breaks a turntable.’
- ‘I'm listening to Beck and his band rocking Hamburg last August, beatboxing at the same time as he plays ‘One Foot in the Grave’ on harmonica.’
- ‘A bodyguard rushed to intercede, but Fresh made a quick explanation, grabbed a mike, and started beatboxing along with P and Co.’
- ‘The young people involved are broadening the scope of the event to include an MC section, where local MCs can rhyme, beatbox or rap in an open mic section.’
- ‘If there's a problem, act like a pro and kick some acapellas or get someone to beatbox until it's sorted.’
- ‘And my friend and I were playing and beatboxing and rapping and the cops stopped us and said we couldn't do that.’
- ‘I'm beatboxing, there's a drummer and two synths.’
- ‘The Invisible Spies crew was too busy beatboxing and tagging overpasses to bother picking up any post-'92 hip hop from across the pond.’
- ‘My friend used to beatbox in basketball practice.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.