One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a boxer who has been knocked down) get up before the referee counts to ten.‘although Hurst tried to beat the count, it was clear that he was unable to continue’
- ‘Arthur looked as surprised as anyone when Kizza failed to beat the count of referee Howard Foster of Doncaster.’
- ‘It was all he needed, as Frazier was not going to beat the count.’
- ‘He beat the count, but as Scott landed a big right it became painfully obvious that Sheika was no longer able to continue because he simply could not defend himself anymore.’
- ‘Mena beat the count but was definitely on shaky legs.’
- ‘Ellis showed tremendous heart once again he beat the count and stumbled to his corner.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.