One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a boxer who has been knocked down) get up before the referee counts to ten.‘although Hurst tried to beat the count, it was clear that he was unable to continue’
- ‘It was all he needed, as Frazier was not going to beat the count.’
- ‘He beat the count, but as Scott landed a big right it became painfully obvious that Sheika was no longer able to continue because he simply could not defend himself anymore.’
- ‘Ellis showed tremendous heart once again he beat the count and stumbled to his corner.’
- ‘Arthur looked as surprised as anyone when Kizza failed to beat the count of referee Howard Foster of Doncaster.’
- ‘Mena beat the count but was definitely on shaky legs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.