One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Perform a task quickly or within a fixed time limit.‘frozen mixed vegetables help you beat the clock with this soup’
- ‘A trainee army officer braved sub-zero temperatures to beat the clock in stamina-sapping ski and shoot races.’
- ‘Those who fail to beat the clock will be discounted from the race.’
- ‘You'll participate in a large variety of driving and shooting missions, some of which involve beating the clock.’
- ‘To beat the clock, he teams up with a colleague.’
- ‘It shows that drivers habitually hurry to beat the clock, and cut corners on road safety.’
- ‘With a combination of smart driving and careful turbo-boosting, the player can beat the clock and set a new record!’
- ‘We get one of those scenes in which a safecracker tries to beat the clock.’
- ‘Surgeons are being paid three times their normal daily wages by desperate health chiefs racing to beat the clock over waiting times targets.’
- ‘It is still touch and go but player and manager returned from the training camp in Valencia more confident than ever that he will beat the clock.’
- ‘For those reasons, parents need to rush to beat the clock.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.