One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Defeat someone thoroughly.
trounce, defeat utterly, beat, annihilate, drub, give a drubbing to, crush, rout, worst, overwhelm, outclassView synonyms
- ‘I had the pleasure of beating him hollow at Pro Evolution Soccer 4.’
- ‘Kerala's Shiva Priya's dream run came to an end in the 63 kg division where Asian champion Aruna Mishra beat her hollow in the first round.’
- ‘Irish landlords were bad enough in the past, but this new importation from England beats them hollow.’
- ‘Team-Pakistan beat India hollow at the Kotla grounds.’
- ‘Given the standards of Indian movies, the splendid three-hour session will ensure that you beat the romance on the screen hollow!’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.