One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Use someone's own methods to outdo them in their chosen activity.‘we can compete against our trading rivals and beat them at their own game’
- ‘Passionate, uninhibited and a bit weird, football fans everywhere from Scotland to Argentina knew exactly what he was saying: that there is no pleasure as sweet as beating England at their own game.’
- ‘For the European riders, the grass is their forte, and to be able to compete with them and beat them at their own game is very satisfying.’
- ‘There is a certain pleasure in beating them at their own game, which very nearly matches a shopping buzz.’
- ‘Shopkeepers that want to beat Tesco at their own game need to have a strong competitive advantage.’
- ‘Young stockbrokers from a York school will be going up against professionals to try and beat them at their own game.’
- ‘This and many other books and newspaper and magazine articles recommended that European industry and commerce should learn from the methods of the Americans and try to beat them at their own game.’
- ‘Some of his fellow activists are less than sanguine about the shift from a strategy of opposing corporations to one of beating them at their own game.’
- ‘They need to be reminded we had eight long years of their rhetoric and we are now beating them at their own game.’
- ‘Meanwhile, Pixar not only beats them at their own game, but also sidesteps the idea that the central competition is visual by centering its latest film on wonderful characters and a meaningful plot.’
- ‘He felt he had to beat them at their own game, and threw himself into his work.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.