One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Make an exaggerated show of sorrow, despair, or regret.
howl, weep, cry, sob, moan, groan, keen, lament, yowl, blubber, snivel, whimper, whine, squall, bawl, shriek, scream, yelp, caterwaul, waulView synonyms
- ‘Let's all hope that the politician does more than beats his breast and really gives us an impartial look at corporate America.’
- ‘In contrast to Antony's desire to blame anyone but himself, Cleopatra spends much of her first speech beating her breast.’
- ‘At the peak of her ambiguous angst, she beats her breast in sappy mourning upon the death of her father.’
- ‘He admits he has done wrong but refuses to beat his breast or elaborate on his plea.’
- ‘I bet you are wailing and gnashing your teeth and beating your breast with many small whips as you ponder this.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.