One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A movement of young people in the 1950s and early 1960s who rejected conventional society, valuing free self-expression and favouring modern jazz. Among writers associated with the movement were Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsberg.
- ‘There's the association of ‘women of the beat generation,’ which is a retrospective grouping.’
- ‘I would draw from this list in my high school days and beyond and get pulled into the world of existentialism, the beat generation, Greek philosophy, and more.’
- ‘She was drawn to the script principally because of Trocchi, considered by some to be Britain's only true writer of the beat generation.’
- ‘She is a glutton for experience and was soon experimenting with sex, drugs and books which reflected those concerns - Henry Miller, Marguerite Duras and the writers of the beat generation.’
- ‘It thrived with the likes of Allen Ginsburg, Lawrence Ferlinghetti and Lenny Bruce, but isn't an art form that died along with the beat generation.’
- ‘The Guevara of ‘The Motorcycle Diaries’ is a poetic presence, a kindred spirit of the beat generation.’
- ‘He followed that with Young Adam - starring Ewan McGregor - an authentic adaptation of beat generation writer Alexander Trocchi's novel about a drifter.’
- ‘For us the beat generation of the 60s was legendary.’
- ‘He had the Borscht belt sexism and made it modern-day: ‘There are no women in the beat generation, ‘he said, ‘just girls who have broken with their parents for the evening.’’
- ‘In fact, Breathing Fire 2 takes a look at the engaging Canadian voices of poets born in 1970s, the decade that followed the beret-clad beat generation.’
- ‘The father of flower power, the icon of the beat generation, an early champion of gay rights - Allen Ginsberg was all these and yet never dated.’
- ‘The word ‘Beat’ comes from an offhand remark made by Kerouac, who called himself and his postwar peers ‘a beat generation,’ meaning down-and-out, or ‘finished.’’
- ‘Brinkmann's breathless speaking takes up the ‘howl’ of the beat generation, his lust for the loud is like concrete poetry.’
- ‘My father was cool about it, which makes sense: he's cool, in the beret-wearing beat generation way.’
- ‘He said that he also knew the name Ram Dass only in association with ‘Be Here Now ‘- which he found when he was ‘into the beat generation.’’
- ‘So, beat generation hermits aside, who are the potential Gwyneth Herbert fans?’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.