Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Withdraw quickly in order to avoid something unpleasant:‘as the bombs started to go off, they beat a hasty retreat across the field’
withdraw, retire, draw back, pull back, pull out, fall back, give way, give ground, recoil, flee, take flight, beat a retreat, beat a hasty retreat, run away, run off, make a run for it, run for it, make off, take off, take to one's heels, make a break for it, bolt, make a quick exit, clear out, make one's getaway, escape, head for the hillsView synonyms
- ‘Jonathan then lunged for the boy at the door, who quickly turned around and beat a hasty retreat away from the house, forgetting his flowers and his car.’
- ‘The thief, instead of beating a hasty retreat, confronted his accuser and hit him in the face delivering a smack on the jaw.’
- ‘He found the attention too much and beat a hasty retreat to the States, where he spent a year writing songs in happy anonymity.’
- ‘He thought of feigning illness and beating a hasty retreat but, after much deliberation, decided to chance it.’
- ‘Clocking that they were being watched they beat a hasty retreat.’
- ‘A fierce, icy wind whipped up the lake's fiery red surface and forced us to beat a hasty retreat from our lakeside walk.’
- ‘After raising one of the biggest cheers of the night, the streaker pranced around the penalty area before beating a hasty retreat.’
- ‘On our arrival, anxious parents start gathering up their little ones and beating a retreat.’
- ‘In fact, he beat a hasty retreat at the first opportunity promising to get the bid and a list of references to me later in the week.’
- ‘But speaking outside a regional police chiefs conference in Bali today, there was no sign that he's beating a retreat from his position.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.