One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Devote resources to peaceful rather than warlike ends.
lay down arms, lay down weapons, demilitarize, turn over weapons, decommission arms, decommission weapons, become unarmedView synonyms
- ‘The work of a Cotswold charity that keeps alive the idea of beating swords into ploughshares will be highlighted by Comic Relief on Sunday.’
- ‘As a military member, my association with violence and war appears to compromise my service of the God who would turn swords into plowshares.’
- ‘Spiritless environmentalism may not ultimately be enough - but spirit-based environmentalism needs to act quickly if it is to show that it has the power to turn swords into ploughshares.’
- ‘We are turning our swords into ploughshares and this step should be appreciated and followed by all other countries.’
- ‘Sensible, yes; but the industry is founded on an intimidation infrastructure, and has shown a marked disinclination to beat swords into ploughshares regardless of any cost/benefit rationale.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.