One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(especially in the armed forces) the process of subjecting a new recruit to harsh treatment in order to instil discipline.
- ‘Later, before Williams died, Edwards boasted that he had given the "best beasting".’
- ‘They trained hard but their week was more about bonding than beasting.’
- ‘It's reported that the Army has an average recruit wastage rate of 50 per cent; because trainees can't take the "beasting" they get from their instructors.’
- ‘He collapsed from overheating in an alleged episode of what is known in Army slang as "beasting" - pushing someone to their physical and emotional limits.’
- ‘A few months of intensive beasting from Marty has changed all of that, though.’
- ‘But he insisted the beasting remained the "substantial" cause of death.’
- ‘Dennis said the beasting was carried out by regimental police as an "informal summary punishment" intended to "humiliate, push to the limit and hurt".’
- ‘A junior soldier died of heatstroke after being subjected to an informal Army punishment known as a "beasting", a jury has heard.’
- ‘Before he died in hospital, one of the officers who oversaw it was boasting to colleagues in the mess that it was the "best beasting of his life".’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.